At 8:00 am we met at the Malibu Colony Plaza, 23841 Malibu Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. After about an hour and a half of looking at cars and talking to each other we left. The run was a lot of fun. Deer Creek is a gem of a road. The driving was brisk and the scenery was gorgeous.
Follow along if you want to take the tour.
- Exit the Plaza through the rear exit turning left onto Malibu Road for 0.1 miles.
- Turn left on Webb Way for 0.1 miles.
- Turn left on PCH (North) for 16.6 miles.
- Turn right on Deer Creek Road for 6.1 miles (becomes Pacific View Road, then Cotharin Road).
- Turn left on Yerba Buena Road (at ‘T’) for 7.6 miles (becomes Little Sycamore Canyon Road).
- Turn left on Mulholland Highway (at ‘T’) for 0.4 miles.
- Turn left on Decker Road (at ‘T’) for 1.9 miles.
- Turn right on Mulholland Highway for 2.4 miles.
- Turn left on Mulholland Highway / Encinal Canyon Road for 17.3 miles.
- Gather at overlook 0.75 miles past Kanan Road.
- Turn right on Old Topanga Canyon Road for 5.6 miles.
- Turn right on Topanga Canyon Road (at ‘T’) for 0.5 miles.
- Turn right on Fernwood Pacific Drive for 2.7 miles.
- Turn right on Saddle Peak Road for 3.2 miles.
- Gather at top of Saddle Peak.
- Continue onto Schueren Road (left at ‘Y’ toward ocean) for 1.8 miles *** CAUTION: HUGE BUMP NEAR TOP ***.
- Turn right on Piuma Road for 6.4 miles.
- Turn left on Malibu Canyon Road for 4.6 miles.
- Turn left on Pacific Coast Highway for 0.7 miles.
- Arrive at Malibu Colony Plaza – end of run!.
Here we are at the top of Saddle Peak.
There were a few more cars.
Jane didn't come with me on this run, something about a “semi-grueling 78-mile run through a variety of canyon roads, ranging from moderately twisty to vomit-inducing” didn't appeal to her.