My grandma Ethel contracted breast cancer in the 1970's. She decided that she wanted to use natural healing methods to cure the cancer and went to Mexico to get Laitril treatments. When she finally came home it was too late because the cancer had spread throughout her body. I visited her three weeks before she died. She faded in and out of consciousness while I talked with her. The problem is that she could have lived longer if she had surgery instead of going to Mexico.
With that in mind, I'm taking Natalie Jost's encouragement to go Pink for October. In October this site will be very pink. I decided that I wanted to retain the current theme, but change the color to pink.
- With my wife's help, I changed the hue and saturation of the sky image to make it pink.
- I then took a sample pink (#EC7EF7) and went to The Man in Blue's (Cameron Adams) Technicolor page to get a color theme.
- After many tries, I selected the colors for each item.
- Wanting a lighter gray for the lines, I promoted the gray (#808080) color of the theme to a main color by double clicking it and chose a lighter gray.
- Finally I created a new style sheet with the new colors.
In the whole process I found that Chris Pederick's Web Developer Extension for Firefox invaluable. The Edit CSS option allowed me to change the look of my site in real time and save it to Textpad, my CSS editor. While the majority of the CSS changes were made in Textpad, I was able to make fine changes with the Web Developer Extension.
Here's a peek at my first draft. I have till October 1, 2006 before I need to be finished, so there may be more changes.